- The Taslan Nylon breathable & durable outer shell helps keep the harsh elements at bay.
- Heavy Polyester Pile lining efficiently helps to hold in your body heat.
- 3 Sizes and an adjustable head band keeps your hat on when its windy and you're extra active, yet can be loosened to help ventilate when the temperature rises. See photo below.
- Long Velcro tabs keep the earflaps up, or snugly under your neck when the North Wind blows.
- Black under bill helps reduce the effects of snow reflection.
- Hat Sizes: Large 7 3/8 - 7 5/8, Medium 7 - 7 1/4, Small 6 5/8 - 6 7/8
- Available in Tamarack Tan & True Forest Green.
Back By Popular Demand!
We first created this hat in 1981 in our small factory in San Diego. The inspiration came from a hat that Navy Ensign Dave Mead was issued during the Korean War. Even though the shell of his hat was made of cotton, we figured the US military knew a thing or two about keeping our soldiers warm while fighting and surviving the winter months in Europe during WWII, and later on the Korean Peninsula.
From our time spent in the high mountains we knew that a person radiates a tremendous amount body heat from their head and neck as the heart pumps a disproportional amount of blood to the brain. For this reason, a properly insulated head in cold temperatures will help to keep your entire body warm.
Over the next 15 years we made and sold tens of thousands of these great hats until we closed our factory in the mid 90's. During it's time in the sun (or snow as it was) it became a classic and copied by many. We can't say it was ever stylish, but when you saw one on the mountain, which you often did, you knew it's owner was seriously active, and warm.